WMRC Summer and Fall 2020 Operations – Owens Valley Site Researcher Use
For Summer and Fall 2020, the WMRC is now open to support small groups of researchers at the OVS (Bishop) facility only.
The upper stations at Crooked Creek, Barcroft and Summit will be closed to overnight visitors. Day visits to upper sites for researchers only must be made by special arrangement. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Details are available in the Download WMRC 2020 COVID-19 Playbook. Please read carefully
Prior to arrival at WMRC you must supply to us documentation from your institution approving your research and field plans and your COVID-19 safety/evacuation plan. Your reservation cannot be confirmed and you cannot enter WMRC grounds before these materials have been received by WMRC, reviewed and approved.
UCLA and WMRC have adopted relatively strict operating procedures at the Bishop facility, sometimes beyond what are required by local public health.
- Use restricted to individual researchers or small research groups only (no classes at this time)
- Prior to arrival you will supply documentation from your institution approving your research and field plans and COVID-19 safety/evacuation plan.
- Social distancing and facility hygiene rules will be strictly enforced
- Masks will be required in all locations, inside or outside, where required social distancing cannot be fully maintained during an activity
- Nonessential travel to/from WMRC should be limited except in the case of visiting non-populated natural field sites for research
- Visitors will have individual rooms and bathrooms and should not visit other people’s bedrooms or bathrooms
- You will need to perform and document daily symptom checks via self-monitoring
- Plan for the smallest number of individuals required for the research. Allowable group size will be determined in consultation with WMRC staff, but in all cases will be limited to 8 people or less
- Dining hall meals and access to the large kitchen and dining hall are not available
- Plan to limit visits to local communities
- Most staff will be telecommuting and not available on site
- There will be no linen service or laundry facilities on site